Sysdig is driving the standard for securing the cloud and containers. We created Falco, the open standard for cloud-native threat detection and cloud security posture management products. We are also spearheading contributions to open source software projects. We are passionate, technical problem-solvers, continually innovating and delivering powerful solutions to secure the cloud from source to run..
We value diversity and open dialog to spur ideas, working closely together to achieve goals. We’re an international company that understands how to cultivate a strong culture across a remote team. And we're a great place to work too — we've been named a Bay Area Best Place to Work by the San Francisco Business Times and the Silicon Valley Business Journal for three years now! We were recognized by Deloitte as one of the 500 fastest growing organizations in 2020 and 2021. We are looking for team members who have a passion for container and cloud security and are willing to dig deeper to help our customers. Does this sound like the right place for you?
Position Overview: The Senior Staff Software Engineer plays a pivotal role in guiding our company's technological direction. This role profoundly affects our ability to scale effectively, manage distributed systems, deliver real-time customer configurations to millions of endpoints, and handle billions of threat detection events. Combining leadership, deep technical expertise, and a collaborative mindset, the ideal candidate will seamlessly integrate and work across multiple engineering teams.
- Architectural Leadership:
- Offer architectural guidance across several engineering teams, ensuring consistent design principles and alignment with the company's long-term vision.
- Guide teams with designing for scalability, extensibility, and stability in mind.
- Devise systems that are scalable, fault-tolerant, and preempt potential bottlenecks.
- Cross-Team Collaboration:
- Engage with engineering leaders and their teams to address complex technical issues.
- Foster a collaborative environment within various technical teams.
- Define guidelines, procedures, and policies in the software development life cycle (SDLC).
- Technical Roadmap and Strategy:
- Influence the company's technical direction by contributing to the strategic engineering roadmap.
- Propose the technical roadmap for innovative features.
- Documentation & Quality Assurance:
- Establish documentation templates for both technical and functional specifications.
- Supervise development workflows, embedding crucial quality assurance tests.
- Project Management & Delivery:
- Estimate and plan cross-workstream projects.
- Have technical responsibility for the delivery of several projects spanning different products and technologies, inclusive of tasks not directly implemented.
- Manage escalations on technical decisions concerning various workstreams.
- Propose an actionable recovery strategy for platform tech debt.
- Innovation, Research, & Risk Management:
- Stay updated on industry trends and infuse new technologies to refine current infrastructure and systems.
- Drive architectural design and authenticate non-functional requirements, including security and scalability.
- Proactively pinpoint risks, escalating issues and risks to the appropriate stakeholders, along with suggested actions.
- Stakeholder & Team Interaction:
- Manage and nurture key stakeholder relationships, including those from product and other engineering teams.
- Collaborate and maintain regular communication with management and the broader company leadership team.
- Step into complex customer cross-team escalations and guide them to resolution.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field. Advanced degrees are valued.
- Over 10 years of experience in software development, with significant exposure to build systems at scale.
- Demonstrated expertise as a technical leader
- In-depth understanding of data architectures, software engineering, and data science principles.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages, such as Java or Go..
- Expertise in distributed systems, message queues, and deploying configurations at scale.
- Experience with various cloud providers (e.g., AWS, Google Cloud, Azure) and their services, ElasticSearch, Postgres, Object store, and container orchestration (e.g., Kubernetes).
- Knowledge in sharding, horizontal scaling, auto-scaling, and the noisy neighbor problem.
- Robust leadership skills with a history of coordinating cross-functional teams.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and a curious mindset.
- Experience mentoring and nurturing engineers.
- Aptitude to convey complex technical details lucidly through strong communication skills.
- Experience in a vibrant, agile, and innovative work setting.
- Domain expertise in Cloud Detection and Response and Threat Detection.
- Trust in the Team: Collaborates and executes as a team, trusting each individual to come through and do their part, guiding and unblocking them as needed.
- Love Our Customers: Understands customer needs, helps root cause complex customer escalations in a timely manner and guides the team into building a product which meets Sysdig’s high standards of customer experience.
- Dig Deeper: Questions to understand root causes, combining analytical thinking with persistence and a detail-oriented focus to find innovative solutions to complex problems.
Why work at Sysdig?
- We’re a well-funded startup that already has a large enterprise customer base
- We have a pragmatic, transparent culture, from the CEO down
- We have an organizational focus on delivering value to customers
- Our open source tools (https://sysdig.com/opensource/) are widely used and loved by technologists & developers
When you join Sysdig, you can expect:
- Competitive compensation including equity opportunities
- Flexible hours and additional recharge days
- Mental wellbeing support through Modern Health for you and your family
- Career growth
The U.S. annual base salary range for this full-time position is between $200,000 and $240,000 USD per year. Actual offers may be higher or lower than this range based on a variety of factors, including (but not limited to) the candidate’s work location, job-related skills, experience and education.