Sysdig is the cloud-native intelligence company, and we’re at the forefront of the container and microservices adoption in the enterprise. We’re the people who are making reliable, secure containers a reality for enterprises everywhere. We're passionate about solving the most complex operational challenges that companies face when they transition to Kubernetes, Docker, and cloud-native architectures at a massive scale. We offer the best of both worlds: we're a well-funded startup (120+M) with a 300+ enterprise customer base.
Sysdig was born from open source, so your work here will cross the divide between developer-led OSS and battle-tested commercial software at scale. We’re proud that our open source tools are widely used and loved by technologists and developers. Falco, our open source container security project, is now a part of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation and rapidly scaling.
Sysdig Secure is breaching the boundaries of traditional security offerings; by leveraging Sysdig’s massively scalable backend, we can provide users breadth and depth of contextual data that takes security analysis to the next level. Building Security for Cloud Native environments like Kubernetes requires a different type of thinking:
We are searching for a Director of Engineering to lead the Security team in Milan, building and growing the team while taking care of site operational aspects as well.
Own the architecture, design and delivery of the services, data storage and data pipelines that make up the Sysdig Secure Platform. Reporting to our Senior Director of Engineering, Secure, you will be instrumental in the development and architecture of our enterprise cloud platform and will be chartered with leading and scaling a team of developers based in Milan. We have a globally distributed engineering organization with locations in San Francisco (HQ), Raleigh NC, Belgrade, Zaragoza and Milan (recently established). We expect that you will collaborate closely with our product managers, engineering leaders, architects and designers to influence product direction and design; and deliver complex high performing, high quality, scalable software products, that serve Security Personnel, in their journey to secure their cloud native environments. We’re seeking a motivational leader who can recruit, mentor, and retain top-tier talent.
- Build and grow the Sysdig site in Milan
- Attend and present Sysdig at different meetups and conferences to improve the company visibility in the Italian market
- Communicate frequently with different stakeholders at Sysdig’s headquarters to address the people and site needs
- Drive the execution and delivery of features by collaborating with many cross functional teams, architects, product owners and engineers, balancing rigor and process against velocity
- Lead strategic planning and design sessions with Product Management and Business stakeholders to create a shared vision and technical roadmap
- Hire and lead engineers that work as part of a globally distributed engineering organization (San Francisco, Raleigh, Europe)
- Draw on customer feedback and operational data to quickly iterate and evolve our products and services
- Communicate at all levels, including strategic, planning, and technical – both oral and in writing – by producing adequate artifacts that outline the technical direction, delivery plan and status, technical architecture
- Facilitate engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics and structure for regular assessment and improvement
- Collaborate cross-functionally to coordinate, plan, and communicate progress with leads from other engineering teams, program management, release management, dev-ops, product management and customer facing teams
- Seasoned Engineering Leader — you have ideally led in startups and large companies and have learned how to balance the strengths of each
- Experience recruiting and developing talent, and managing in a global, geographically distributed organization
- Successful background leading the development and delivery of complex, enterprise class software
- Domain expertise in distributed systems, big data, ML, system level software or cloud services is strongly preferred
- Knowledge of Continuous Delivery and Integration best practices
- Experience with cloud infrastructure services (AWS) preferred
- Experience with Service and Micro-Service Oriented Architecture, RESTful APIs, Real Time Data Ingestion and Processing Pipeline, Structured and Unstructured Data Storage
- Excellent communication skills, ability to explain technical roadmap to internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to drive engineering work in a hands-on fashion when needed
- Deep understanding and experience with Software Development Lifecycle methodologies
- Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including requirements analysis, architecture and design, risk assessment
Domain exposure in one or several of the following areas a plus:
- Virtualization and “The Cloud” (AWS, GCE, Azure, Softlayer, VMware, OpenStack)
- Big Data. Key to distributed applications
- Go, Java, AWS, Unix
- Persistent data stores and queueing systems
Why Join Sysdig
Cloud-native is fundamentally changing how organizations build and run applications to fully take advantage of the cloud computing model. Sysdig is the cloud-native intelligence company making it happen. Join us and you’ll be working at the cutting-edge of infrastructure technology and the birth of an entirely new industry. Be the one who solves the hard challenges of operating Kubernetes and Containers at scale – and have fun doing it with a great group of people.
Are you ready to join us?
We're excited to receive your application.