Sysdig is looking for an experienced, passionate, driven and hands-on Director, Engineering to lead cross-discipline teams that develop our Security offering from the ground up. This is a highly impactful role as you will lead a team of passionate, talented backend engineers that handle highly scalable complex issues in a distributed environment. This role involves architecture, design, and delivery of the services that make up the Security Platform.
Sysdig is the cloud-native intelligence company, and we’re at the forefront of the container and microservices adoption in the enterprise. We make reliable, secure containers a reality for enterprises everywhere.
We’re passionate about solving the most complex operational challenges that companies face when they transition to Kubernetes, Docker, and cloud-native architectures at a massive scale. We’ve raised over $100M and are putting that to work in the world’s largest banks, governments, tech companies and… well, just about everywhere. And we're a great place to work too — we were awarded the 2019 Bay Area Best Places to Work award from San Francisco Business Times and the Silicon Valley Business Journal. Have we gotten your attention yet?
Sysdig was born as Open Source software, so your work here will cross the divide between developer-led OSS and battle-tested commercial software at scale. We’re proud that our open source tools (https://www.sysdig.com/opensource) are widely used and loved by technologists and developers. Falco, our open-source container security project is now a part of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation and rapidly gaining community adoption.
As a Director, Engineering, you will lead the development of complex scalable features, across multiple services in the cloud and Software offerings. We expect that you will collaborate closely with our senior management team, architects, product managers to actively work on product direction and design. You will be responsible for managing the timeline of the projects, aligning with the big picture, work with the sales team and have field interaction including training the sales team. We are looking for a high performing, motivated individual who can recruit, mentor, retain top-tier talent and improve our development processes and quality.
What You'll Be Doing
- Drive the execution and delivery of features by collaborating with many cross-functional teams, architects, product owners, and engineers. Balance rigor and process against velocity.
- Lead strategic planning and design sessions with Product Management, and Business stakeholders to create a shared vision and technical roadmap
- Lead and manage a team of engineers through the research, technical design, implementation, testing and deployment of various parts of the platform
- Deliver scalable, secure, resilient, highly available services running on robust deployment architectures with comprehensive health monitoring/alerting
- Reviewing the code of team members and participating in technical architecture discussions
- Maintain effective communication and collaboration with other teams, both local and remote, in completing interdependent work items
- Ensure adequate visibility of project/feature status to stakeholders
- Manage individual performance, employing ongoing performance feedback and coaching
- Work with each team member in identifying and making progress toward career development goals
What You Should Bring
- Seasoned Engineering Leader — you have ideally led in startups and large companies and have learned how to balance the strengths of each. Prior Cloud Security background is a huge plus
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in software engineering, with a minimum of 8+ years recruiting, developing talent and managing software engineering backend teams
- Proven track record of successful execution of the full product/service development lifecycle from initial planning to first release and delivering on schedule in a fast-paced agile setup
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and to maintain a high degree of technical involvement with your team
- Demonstrated success delivering large-scale, highly available applications and services
- Knowledge of Continuous Delivery and Integration best practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Java, Go or C++relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience with Kubernetes/Docker a big plus
- Experience developing on AWS a big plus
Why Join Sysdig
Cloud-native is fundamentally changing how organizations build and run applications to fully take advantage of the cloud computing model. Sysdig is the cloud-native intelligence company making it happen. Join us and you’ll be working at the cutting-edge of infrastructure technology and the birth of an entirely new industry. Be the one that solves the hard challenges of operating Kubernetes and Containers at scale – and have fun doing it with a great group of people.
When you join Sysdig, you can expect:
- Competitive salary
- Topnotch health insurance coverage
- We offer the best of both worlds: we’re a well-funded startup ($121.5 million) with a 300+ enterprise customer base (300 and counting)
Additionally, we offer a variety of benefits and perks, such as:
- 401k with company matching up to 3%
- Flexible vacation policy
- Monthly self-improvement grant – spend on yourself however you see fit!
- Weekly team lunches and snacks every day of the week
- Monthly house cleaning allowance
- Fun team with company events and lots of espresso
Are you ready to join us?
We're excited to receive your application.